Saturday, April 7, 2012

ScriptFrenzy Update & Self-Awareness

This week has been an interesting review of my mind as a writer.

I mentioned before that the idea for my screenplay is one that I've had for a while. I've been working on it all week – except yesterday. Yesterday, I spent the day thinking about what I was writing, my original idea, and what I was really trying to accomplish.

The script started out well enough. But after a few scenes, the script veered wildly from the story I was originally trying to tell. The thing is, I really like my story and I want to tell it. I currently have 13 pages. (I'm supposed to have 25-28 pages by the end of the day.) I've decided to redirect the script to accommodate the original story and not the one I went with when on a writing tangent. So at this point, I'm keeping the first three scenes and then jump from there. I'm going to keep the other pages. (This is for ScriptFrenzy after all. They count towards the 100 pages goal.)

While thinking about it yesterday, I came to the conclusion that I subconsciously did it. (I've been known to do that.) I love my idea. I want to see the finished product (a completed script). But I'm also . . . wary of my story. The underlying love story in this script is not something I've done before. There are a lot of things to consider. And the further I get into the story, the closer I get to introducing the storyline.

It's almost like I have to get out of my own head to plow through and write what I really want to write.

I'm a bit of a self-saboteur, so we'll see where it goes.

Are you a self-saboteur? How do you get past it?

No comments:

Post a Comment